Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisma Concepcion de Acuena
This mission was named in honor of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception and Juan de Acuena, the Marques de Casafuerte. The Marques was Viceroy of New Spain (Mexico) when the mission transferred to the San Antonio River area in 1731.
Originally founded in 1716 in what is now eastern Texas, the mission was one of six authorized by the government to serve as a buffer against the threat of French incursion into Spanish territory from Louisiana.
Developed by Franciscans and after a tenuous existence and several moves, the mission was transferred to its present site in 1731.
This handsome stone church took about 20 years to build, and was dedicated in 1755. It appears very much as it did over two centuries ago. Due to the fact that it was built directly on bedrock, it never lost its roof, or its integrity.
Thanks to the National Park Service for the historical information.
July 7th, 2014
Viewed 1,208 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 02/29/2024 at 12:27 PM